Thursday, 12 July 2012

I Adore Mi Armour

Tottenham unveiled their new kits for the forthcoming season today, and they can be seen below.



With apologies to Hannover 96, this marks the first instance of Under Armour as the kit provider for a major football team, a new foray into a potentially lucrative market for the American company. For Tottenham, the opportunity to become the flagship team of one of the fastest growing sports apparel companies in the world was not one to be scoffed at.

It is encouraging for the club to see the way in which Under Armour utilised many of the techniques par for the course in American sports in their build-up and release of the kit, from the myriad of social networks on which the unveiling could be accessed and followed to the extravagant kick-off event being held at White Hart Lane on Saturday - more details of which can be found here. I don't remember a kit unveiling with such pomp and circumstance in English football before, let alone at Tottenham. Under Armour CEO and President Kevin Plank was at today's unveiling, a hint that Spurs are not about to become a side interest for the company, they mean business. 


I have held the belief for a long time that English sport lags behind its American counterpart in terms of marketing and fan interaction, this move represents a small but significant move in the right direction. Again, Plank's presence alludes to a closer relationship than is usually seen between club and supplier, and hopefully this will be the first in a number of moves rolled out over the season.

As for the kits themselves? The full picture set can be seen here. Overall a good look. Distinctive without being busy. I personally don't care for the collar on the home shirt, feels a bit too close to last season's effort - a v-neck like on the away shirt would have improved the look. In fact I have no complaints about the away shirt at all. The away goalkeeper's kit is a huge improvement on the previous designs under Puma, a clean, retro feel that would go great with Hugo Lloris' haircut for a 60's feel, let's hope. I would have thought it would go better with the home kit, but the home goalkeeper's shirt is not too shabby either. As I said earlier, distinctive from previous shirts and other manufacturer's designs across the league, but without sacrificing a clean look.

No comments:

Post a Comment