Thursday, 22 November 2012

Beating the Bookies: Week 12

An outstanding week outright and a solid one on the spread means my record continues to grow more and more respectable. Also a big shout out to the rabbits for nailing their first ever selection under the bright lights of Thursday night football. 

However, a lot of those games went way closer than I would have liked (I'm looking at you, Mason Crosby), so hopefully this week's gambling will be smoother sailing.

Turkey week means we get triple Thursday night football (and at a reasonable hour), which is something we can all be thankful for.

Week 11:

Outright = 13-1

Spread = 9-5
SFBOTW = 1-0

Waffle + Ralph = 1-0

Overall:


Outright = 92-69

Spread = 91-70
SFBOTW = 5-6

Waffle + Ralph = 1-0



Texans @ Lions +3
Even though the Lions held GB close and the Texans gave up huge points to the Henne-led Jags, I still think Houston should win this one comfortably. Let's hope Detroit don't put up as much of a fight as they did in my previous SFBOTW.

Texans -3 SFBOTW



Redskins @ Cowboys -3.5
RG3 just put up a near perfect 4 TD game against the Eagles, whereas the Cowboys just struggled to see off Cleveland. Granted, the Cowboys defence is better than Philly's, but I'm still loving the Redskins at these odds.

Skins +3.5 (and to win)




Patriots @ Jets +6.5
Brady just gave Luck a master-class in Elite QBing, and whilst the Jets surprised me by beating the Rams in St. Louis I still think the Pats have more than enough to give NY a divisional walloping. Gronk's injury is a big thorn in their side though, so it will be interesting to see what Belichick concocts in his lengthy absence. 

Pats -6.5

Vikings @ Bears 
-2.5
With or without Cutler I'll go with the Bears' defence to hold on in this one. By no means a clear cut game though with the thrashing SF just handed them. 

Bears -2.5



Raiders @ Bengals -9.5 
Whilst I'm pretty sure the Bengals will win this, it's a tough one to call as 9.5 is a hefty spread. With that in mind I think I'll leave this to everyone's favourite dynamic duo:



Waffle again makes an assertive choice, and who can blame him? After last week his confidence must be sky high, but Ralph seems reluctant to back him up. Word has it he fancies the Raiders to cover, so let's hope this tension doesn't create a divide in the hive mind.


Bengals -9.5

Steelers @ Browns +1
Another tricky one as the Steelers are clearly in a QB quandry, whereas the Browns have been playing at a reasonable level in recent weeks. With a negligible spread I'll take the Steelers, but wouldn't be at all surprised if the upset happened.

Steelers -1
Wasn't Leftwich in Forrest Gump?

Bills @ Colts -3
Whilst last week's results might incline some to favour Buffalo I still love the Colts (at home) to give anyone a game. 3 points isn't too much of a stretch either, and I'm confident Luck can rebound from their big defeat to New England.

Colts -3 

Titans @ Jags +3
Interesting one given the Jaguars' shockingly good performance vs Houston. The Titans though looked good before the bye, so until Jacksonville show me that wasn't a fluke I'm going to err on the side of caution and take Tennessee.

Titans -3 



Broncos @ Chiefs +10
Even 10 points shouldn't be too much for the Broncos to cover in this one. They just took down the Chargers comfortably and the Chiefs just got dismantled once again by Cincy. It could get very ugly. Also Brady Quinn has been named starter... which is usually license to put your car/house/most attractive female relative on the other team.

Broncos -10

Seahawks @ Dolphins +3
Whilst the Hawks are clearly a far better team at home than away, the Dolphins have lost 2 straight, and I fancy Seattle to make a statement here, with Wilson showing Tannehill who the 3rd best rookie QB really is.

Seahawks -3

Falcons @ Buccs +1
The Buccaneers are not a team to be trifled with, but I can't look past Atlanta at no spread. They've had their ups and downs, and throwing 5 picks last week is not a good sign, but they should have enough quality to find a way to win again here. Julio's injury status is a concern though, so may be wise to leave this 'till we get confirmation.

Falcons -1

Ravens @ Chargers +1
This is definitely worth putting a lot of money on. Sure, Flacco and the Ravens don't tend to do so well on the road, but San Diego have been just awful offensively in recent weeks. Over / under on retarded Rivers' picks will be about 5.

Ravens -1 


Better ask for your P45 now.

Rams @ Cardinals -1
Coming off last week's performances it would be insulting to Arizona to not pick them here. The Rams were very disappointing vs the Jets whereas the Cardinals gave me the close game I looked for against Atlanta. 

Cardinals -1

49ers @ Saints No Spread
Tough one as the Saints are very much on the comeback trail, but the 49ers looked red hot on Monday night vs Chicago so it would feel wrong to pick against them and their offensive wizardry.

49ers

Packers @ Giants -2.5
I'm not even going to hesitate on this one. The Packers will dominate the Giants, who have been incredibly sub par the last few weeks. This one has a very bitter recent history, so should be great viewing. The extra points are just a nice thanksgiving bonus.

Packers +2.5 (and to win) 

Panthers @ Eagles -2.5
The Eagles are in absolute disarray, so I have to side with the Panthers, though admittedly  they aren't in much better shape. It'll be the classic case of whichever team screws up less.

Panthers +2.5 (and to win)





Apologies for the lateness of this one - a lot of the lines were delayed due to questionable QB injury status. Good luck.

*All odds accurate as of 22/11/2012 via Yahoo's 'Sportacular' app*

No comments:

Post a Comment