Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Beating the Bookies 2013/14: Week 8

A very solid week outright, but a woeful 6-9 on the spread and my SFBOTW losing means week 7 was extremely disappointing. The mixed blessing is that Gnome is still undefeated (#catofdestiny), which is both good and also bad as it shows a dumb animal has a better chance of predicting outcomes than me.

Let's move on to week 8, which should be another intriguing few days in the football world.

WARNING - Don't forget the clocks go back Saturday night in the UK, so the First Wave starts at 5pm and the second at 8pm etc. 

Week 7:
Outright = 10-5
Spread = 6-9
SFBOTW = 0-1
Animal Corner = 1-0

2013/14:
Outright = 69-38
Spread = 52-52-3 
SFBOTW = 4-3

Animal Corner = 3-0

All Time:
Outright = 235-129
Spread = 192-166-6 
SFBOTW = 12-11-1 
Animal Corner = 7-2-1


Thursday Night

Panthers @ Buccaneers +5.5 Sky Sports 1

The Panthers have quietly got themselves on a bit of a run, with confident wins over Minnesotta and St. Louis. Tampa, meanwhile, are stuck winless in the Schiano soap opera, and don't look like causing too much more of a challenge for a team that is finally getting its talent in position to fulfill their potential. I only see one outcome here, even despite it being in Tampa and a divisional game.

5.5 is easily comfortable enough for me to side with the visitors here.

Panthers -5.5  SFBOTW

Sunday First Wave


Cowboys @ Lions -3 

Two dangerous 4-3 teams go head to head here, with Dallas coming off a crucial divisional win over Philly and the Lions losing out at home to Cincy. This should be an offense dominated shoot out from the get out, and I'm loath to call a winner either way. That said, I think Dallas are the more convincing 4-3 team having lost narrowly to strong Denver, KC and SD teams (how about that AFC West) in all three of their defeats.

What with picking Dallas to win, I'm obviously going to be lapping up the +3 points here.


Cowboys +3 (and to win)

49ers @ Jaguars (Wembley) +17 Sky Sports 2

The second international series game is here, and whilst it is unlikely to be the close encounter the Steelers/Vikings game was, it should still be an entertaining game. The 49ers are clawing back to form after a shakey start with a nice win over Tennessee on the road (no easy matter), whereas the Jaguars' troubles continue with another convincing defeat to the Chargers. Open and shut case in terms of the winner here, I'm afraid.

In terms of how close it will be, 17 points is obviously a generous margain, and one I'm loath to call either way. On the one hand SF are clearly 17 points better than their opponents, but will their longer travel affect them worse, and will the Jags raise their game in the spotlight, the same way they did versus Denver. I'll hand this over to #catofdestiny
49ers                                       Jaguars
No surprises really as she goes with the feline choice again. 

Jaguars + 17 (49ers win)


Browns @ Chiefs -7.5

Nobody saw the Chiefs being the only undefeated team at this stage early in the season, and whilst their schedule has been soft (only one win over a + .500 team) they are a far cry from last years Arizona, grabbing wins off both a suffocating defence and solid, reliable, offence. Things won't get much tougher here with a visit from the Browns, who are a whole different team without Hoyer, and wholeheartedly failed to keep pace with GB last week. 

7.5 is fairly hefty for a low scoring team, but I can't see the Browns getting more than 2 touchdowns on them. I'll take it all day.

Chiefs -7.5 

Dolphins @ Patriots -7

Miami managed to lose out to hamstrung Buffalo, and seem to have fallen off the pace after their promising start. They will have a much tougher divisional test this week with a trip to Foxborough. The Patriots meanwhile managed to lose to the Jets despite having Gronk back (and performing), partly thanks to a rather obscure special teams flag. Despite their conflicting results, I can't see NE losing back to back divisional games.

I'm very torn over this spread, as whilst I definitely think the Pats will win, I'm not sure they'll make it convincing. That said, it is still only one score, so I think I'll grudgingly side with them to bounce back.

Patriots -7

Bills @ Saints -12.5

Buffalo are coming off a win over Miami, and are performing better than most would after losing their starting QB. New Orleans meanwhile are cementing their place as one of the strongest teams in the league with Sean Payton back. In NO this should be a fairly one sided battle.

12.5 is fairly hefty spread, despite my belief the Saints will win convincingly. Not one I'd like to have to call either way, but it's just big enough for me to think the Bills could cover.

Bills +12.5 (Saints to win)

Giants @ Eagles -5

NY finally get off the starting block this season, but it was far from a polished performance against an equally torrid Vikings side. That said, a win is a win, and the lack of turnovers make it an encouraging one for big blue. Philly meanwhile look to be regressing from their early season promise, and losing Vick could hurt them more than initially suspected. I think this will be a close run thing, but one the Eagles ultimately squeeze out. 

5 points is a healthy margin in what I think will be a nail biter. I'll take the points here.

Giants +5 (Eagles to win)

Sunday Second Wave


Jets @ Bengals -6.5 

Geno and the Jets are one of the more inconsistent teams in the league right now, seeming to either play at the turnover prone, ineffective level we are used to, or pulling games like Sunday or versus Atlanta out of nowhere. As such it's hard to guess which team will  be playing versus the Bengals this week, but as their hosts are a defensively built, powerful team coming off an impressive road win over Detroit, it's hard to go against them. 

6.5 is easily comfortable enough to back that up with the spread. 

Bengals -6.5 

Steelers @ Raiders +1

I remember the Steelers getting upset in this game last year, and how surprising it was at the time. This year, it would not be a shocker if the Raiders won - they are been playing far above expectations and the Steelers have under performed from their usual standards. This is a tough one to call, as the Raiders are not a good team on paper, but thanks to an inventive defensive coordinator and a surprisingly capable Pryor they are no easy opponent. Pittsburgh meanwhile look a different team with Leveon Bell back in the fold, and handled the Ravens in a typically tight encounter last week. I'm going to call the slight upset and say the Raiders notch another win here.

The spread isn't as high as I'd like, and it's effectively a pick 'em. I'll be avoiding this one.

Raiders +1 (and to win)

Falcons @ Cardinals -2.5

Atlanta managed to hold off the Buccs despite being decimated by injuries, whereas the Cardinals got convincingly beaten by a strong Seattle side at home. That acknowledged, the Cardinals are my choice to win this game. With Patrick Peterson matched up on (at best) a less than 100% Roddy White, this should be a tough game for the Falcons offence against one of the most talented defences in the league. Offensively the Cardinals win need to play better than they did versus Seattle to win, but the Falcons defence is not on the same level that the 'Hawks is. 

The spread is easily comfortable enough to be happy with.

Cardinals -2.5 


Redskins @ Broncos -13.5 Sky Sports 2

The Redskins could be finally getting back to form (too little too late?) with a win over the Bears (albeit minus Cutler for most of the game), whereas Denver showed some huge chinks in their armour versus the Colts, so this should be an interesting game. Despite those conflicting results the Broncos are still the favourites, and the match up of Peyton Manning on a soft Redskins defence (their secondary can't play the same aggressive man coverage that plagued Manning in Indy) is a very favourable one. For the Skins to win, RG3 will have to be let off the leash and put up some serious numbers. 

13.5 is a very large spread, but it could easily get that one-sided. That said, I'm expecting a shoot out - so I'll take these points.

Redskins +13.5 (Broncos to win)

Sunday Night

Packers @ Vikings +10

Green Bay handled the Browns better than expected, and Freeman's first start for the Vikings was not a smooth one, losing to the 0-6 Giants. His accuracy was not good, but some of that can be put down to not having time to gel with the Vikings WRs, and get in sync with their offence. Excuses aside, those problems won't get fixed in a (short) week, so I don't see his first start in Minnesota being much more favourable.

10 points is large margin, but one they should comfortably cover, even in a divisional game.

Packers -10 

Monday Night


Seahawks @ Rams +10.5

The loss of Bradford is obviously huge for St. Louis, and changes this from what would have been an interesting match up to what could be a blowout. There is no chance the Rams can get moving on offence versus a brutal defence without him, and Seattle being the ruthless competitors they are will not let up an inch. 

It's a large spread, but they'll cover, probably with a fake punt 24 points up. 

Seahawks -10.5 



No comments:

Post a Comment